Wednesday, April 2, 2008

catch up

i have been waiting to get my computer back from a friend who is fixing it to post again...but i am impatient. you will just have to suffer without pictures again.
last week was busy!

Easter was good. I was able to go to a sunrise service at my Nepali church which was nice. We sang songs and someone gave a message. After we had breakfast and prepared to join hundreds of churches around Kathmandu for a big Easter march that they have every year. We arrived at a certain part of the city with a banner and instruments and began the hour long walk to a park that is in the middle of the city. Everyone was full of singing and cheering, praising our God because He is Alive! There were at least 15,000 people there, probably more (I am not good with estimations) We then gathered in the park for a big service of singing, prayers by many church learders, and some dances. Later in the evening all of the girls I live with went out to eat at a nice place and prepared to say good-bye to 2 of the girls returning to Sweden the next day.

Then last week we had a big program at an all girls school of 500 called Kid's Games. We had a day of opening ceremonies where we introduced our countries and then several days of relay races and other various games. During some break times we also had a chance to share to talk about what we believe and study the Word. The girls had a lot of fun and it was nice to do something different than our other work that can sometimes become routine.

Also, I had a great birthday this past weekend. Thank you for your wonderful emails and messages! On Friday I had cake with both the guys and girls during our prayer meeting and on Sunday the girls did a great job of making me feel special. We went out to eat in the afternoon at a local coffee shop, opened a few presents, watched a fun movie in the evening, and of course at all kinds of sweets all day long. I was almost as bad as Michael on his birthday sugar high, but i had no office to crash in (This is from the show The Office, for you Matthew) Monday too I still celebrated by making tacos and a cake for my flat, compliments of my mom's fun packages filled with cake in a box and taco seasoning (thanks mom! alabaster flat thanks you too!). I don't know how it is that I am 24...sounds older but doesn't feel so. but everyone wanted to thank my parents for having me so we had an excuse to celebrate :)

and, for a little fun, yesterday our girls flats got in a little war over april fool's day. so funny to me that even here in Nepal they celebrate this! the other girl's flat began the morning with a few harmless pranks...but they didn't know they awoke the wrath of our flat :) by the end of the day they came home to an apartment completely turned around in furniture, clothes, and much more. i think my favorite though was that we hardboiled all of their eggs...and if you live in Nepal, you know that we eat eggs almost everyday! just so you can know that we have lots of fun here too ;)

so that was the past week or two, catching up a little. things are getting pretty interesting around here with the elections coming up next week. i will write more in a few days, but really, Nepal needs your prayers right now. The Tibet situation is not bad for us--as in we are not effected by protests or anything. but things can always change...which is why we need the Lord more than ever.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm remembering how lovely your heart is Elisa. I love reading stories of your time in Nepal. I've been praying for you a lot lately, that divine appointments are set in place and that you are able to hear the quiet whispers of our Savior. Happy late birthday, can you believe on your 19th b-day we were in Texas? Where has time gone?!?! Love you and praying for you.