Sunday, November 27, 2011

Thankful Heart

It has been a great week of family time, good food, relaxation, and getting in the mood for the holidays! This year we started off Thanksgiving day a little differently with the 5K Gobble Jog to support a local ministry combatting poverty. James, Mom, and I joined 9000+ people and it was quite the experience! It was my second 5K, but my first one running with someone else and it being somewhat last minute, I can't say I was exactly in the best shape to run, but it was still worth it :) James was a good running buddy! A good ways to start the day...

This year was a little different too in that it was the first year that I wasn't already over at my parents' house for the holiday...but things felt right at home once Maria and I arrived with some yummy sides, with Judah already hard at work begging for some turkey. I am certain that tons of food to beg for + the whole family home just for him = one of his favorite days of the year, second only to Christmas when he gets to tear apart his stocking toys :)

Sadly, I don't have many pictures of our food and table spread, though my mom always has just the right touches. This year she put around reminders of things that our family has to be thankful for--graduations, our trip to Israel, reminders of the Lord's faithfulness in the midst of grief and hard times as well as the way He has been so good to bring us through growing transitions. I am especially grateful this year for the way he has allowed me to be a bit more on my own these days. I am so blessed to have parents that can provide, but I am also glad to have a job that allows me to support myself, pay my own bills, and have my own place! All this is still a work in progress and I am not the *best* budgeter ever but I am learning. So Thursday was full of good food (including our family's homemade clam chowder tradition!), games, movies, hang out time, and even a late night trip to stand in a few crazy Black Friday lines!

Friday we got in the Christmas spirit together by heading over to "the red house" aka Fountain Gate, our counseling center, to decorate for the holiday season! While I would not call counseling a "family business," my parents have worked long hours making it a place that is warm, welcoming, and a huge help to people in the community who are in need. Decorating the house as a family felt like a way to take ownership together, even though we all have different things the Lord has called us to. It was neat even this year to have all 3 kids venturing out to do what we went to school for...Ben at Logos, me at FG, and James just accepting a job at a local hospital to start down his road as a P.A.


Fluff them bows boys :)

 This time of year always makes me grateful for a family that loves the Lord, supports each other, and for all intents and purposes, is relatively "normal." No family is normal and we all have things in which we can grow, but so many of my clients last week were dreading the holiday season, it has made me refocus on the fact that I truly can enjoy my family and friends because of all God has blessed me with. There is much to be grateful for this year.



No comments: