It's been a few months so I figured it's about time for a few more Israel installments to brighten your day :) I am trying to finish up a photo book that I started for Shutterfly but goodness it takes a long time! BUT if I can get it done by tomorrow, I can get 50% off...sometimes such things are good to motivate me...
So from Nazareth we headed to the Sea of Galilee which included the Mt. of Beatitudes, the ruins of Caperneum, and an overnight at a cute little resort where we got to swim in the sea. The weather was somewhat disappointing because we did not get to see all the way across the Sea (which is really just a very large lake!) because of all of the strange haze :( Normally the view is much better. Still, it was so special to walk in the footsteps of where Jesus spent so much of his ministry!
We started out with a beautiful view from the highest point around Galilee, Caperneum would be in the distance on the left behind me
Traditional spot for Mt. of Beatitudes, though there are so many hillsides, it could have been anywhere! Still, this is close to the old town of Caperneum...
Reading the Beatitudes...one of my favorite memories there...
Then on to the ruins of a place we know for certain Jesus spent a large part of his ministry...

yep, that little round stone house is where they say Peter lived...
More small homes in the town, looking out towards the sea. It was clearly a fishing town!
The ruins of the Synagogue in the town, built on top of the one Jesus would have preached in. So. cool.
A fishing boat found from the time of Jesus just like the kind he would have travelled in
Our little house on the Sea :)
About to enjoy "St Peter's Fish" right from the Sea of Galilee! It was really good!
The next morning we enjoyed a VERY brisk swim, just to say we swam in the Sea of Galilee :) It was definitely the coldest water we went in, but it was fun! It was a special morning sitting quietly on the water, reflecting on all the time Jesus spent there. I even saw some fishermen! Though it wasn't as clear as it could have been, looking back it was amazing to see and experience where He walked. At the same time, I was struck that I don't have to look for him in ruins because he is ALIVE, speaking and living in my heart. So thankful my Jesus is real today, right now, relevant to my world, my life, and still welcoming everyone who will come to him.

No comments:
Post a Comment