Saturday, February 16, 2008

truimphs and donut day

My triumph of the week was simple.

I called a Tibetan friend, made a time to meet with her in the afternoon. Then a friend and I road our bikes to the designated place, found our friend, had chiyaa (the best tea you will ever have) and snacks with her in her home. Then we left and stopped at a shop, bought a few things, and headed home—and I knew where I was the whole time! Plus, we made good time on our bikes and enjoyed whizzing down the streets with no accidents. Not that accidents are frequent, but I swear every time I get on my bike my prayer life increases 10x. Yet after 2 ½ weeks of always feeling like I could get lost at a wrong turn because all the streets look the same, this made my heart happy.
Yesterday was a good day too. Church in the morning and then in the afternoon some friends and I meet some Nepali and Tibetan ladies for an afternoon of making donuts! None of us had ever done it before, including the girl who was teaching us—she had found a recipe and we just sort of went with it—but they ended up turning out pretty good! We had to use the most ghetto tools—a small cereal spoon to mix things and a whisk that came apart halfway through the process which we turned into thongs to get the donuts out of the pot. Thus I spent the afternoon covering donuts in powered sugar once they came out of the pot and laughing with women over broken English and Nepali. Once everyone understood how to make them, I think everyone enjoyed themselves.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice to see your smiling face! Donuts look pretty good too. I was wondering if you'd had any of that good (Chai?) tea yet!
Love, Mom

Maria said...

Mmm...they look good :) Love you!

mary said...

go you!