Wednesday, February 20, 2008

empty circles


Seven padishi (foreign) girls bumping along on their bikes is always reason to stop all work and stare. The fact that we are wearing full kurthas, the traditional Nepali woman’s clothing consisting loose pants, a long tunic and scarf, seems to only to add to the genuine curiosity that follows us up and down the hills we travel. We are headed to the Swayambu Stupa, also known as the Monkey Temple, built 1st Century BC, and now home to many Buddhist and Tibetan monks, as well as thousands of monkeys. It’s cloudy today, not much to see except the colorful prayer flags tied to the top of the Buddhist idols and flowing down to the bottom of the stupa.

Foreigners often travel to this place to observe the worship of others, snap some pictures, and maybe even seek the peace the Buddhism claims to offer. In truth, I found it to be an empty place. Or if it is filled with anything, it is sort of a deadness, a hopelessness. Today there was a small festival going on in which a group of people were walking around the stupa many times with drums, some chanting, praying, and burning incense, while others just followed the leader of the festival blindly in circles. It was not clear what exactly it was all for, simply some sort of worship ritual. At the top of stupa, Buddha’s empty and somewhat angry eyes looked out from the monument’s 4 sides. What seemed most sad to me was to think that even with all this praying, the worshippers will never hear Buddha’s voice respond. Yet they are devoted, they will keep praying, they will seek peace and fulfillment with more discipline and consistency than many Christians are willing to put forth. How His heart must grieve.

I was reminded recently of the foolishness the gospel can seem to the world. Yet it is not my responsibility to convince the world of its truth. I cannot open eyes. I cannot open ears. I cannot break chains. Only God can. It is my responsibility to share what I know to be true, but HE is the only one who can work in the heart. I must speak truth and then I must pray he would work. So today I did.

“Where is the wise man? Where is the scholar? Where is the philosopher of this age? Has not God made foolish the wisdom of the world? For since in the wisdom of God the world through its wisdom did not know him, God was pleased through the foolishness of what was preached to save those who believe. Jew demanded miraculous signs and Greeks look for wisdom, but we preach Christ crucified: a stumbling block to the Jews and foolishness to Gentiles, but to those whom God has called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God and the wisdom of God. For the foolishness of God is wiser than man's wisdom, and the weakness of God is stronger than man's strength.” 1 Cor. 1:20-25

Thank you Lord that you have done the work in me of making what seemed foolishness, to be truth.

No comments: