I. love. food.
I love GOOD food.
I love trying new things that I've never had, even strange things.
In my travels I've had some pretty interesting and amazing things...balut in the Philippines, pigs brain, grubs in the DR Congo (EW), roasted duck at one of the most famous restaurants in Bejing, fish from the Sea of Galilee...
So #17 was about getting myself try something new, maybe out of the box for me, and savor the joy of food! However, deciding on what that would be proved a little more difficult than I expected. How exactly does one define whether or not a food is exotic?? I was lost.
France seemed to be a good opportunity to branch out. I mean, one of the BEST parts about this country is the FOOD. Wine! Cheese! Steak! Baguettes! Croissants! Pastries! Creme brûlée! Crepes! Macaroons! Did I mention wine?! Really the food will get a French Fri(day) post all to itself. But this was different. This had to be unique and special.
I thought maybe I'd give escargot a whirl while in the south of France (still have never had it) but the truth is, even that didn't feel quite as unique to France as I wanted it to be. So when Marie Claire mentioned this "very French" food called Foie gras, which I personally had no knowledge of, I wondered if that might be the winner.
After an incredible day of exploring the beautiful little village of Eze, gambling in Monaco, and popping over to Italy for a minute, we topped off the day with a celebratory swanky dinner in Nice for our newly engaged Tatum (who just tied the knot!). This was a number of courses which was the perfect occasion and excuse to try something exotic because we knew it would be quality.
Foie gras (pronounced Fffwaa Graa--that is my personal description so you're welcome) is essentially goose pate or goose liver. It is made in a rather terrible way so research at your own little heart's risk. Marie graciously described the process to me in between mouthfuls of this delectable little appetizer. She tried to warn me...but...ew.
I don't generally like anything that has to do with organs. They usually kinda gross me out. Why would anyone want to consume such a thing? But I was determined to be refined and go for it. I don't know how it is normally served but this time it came with toasted long bread and carmelized onions.
Impressions:
Hmm interesting. Creamy. Dense. The sweet of the onions and the crunch of the bread complimented it very well. Not nearly as bad as I might have feared. Hey, maybe I'll have more. The French know what they are doing. Sheesh.
And I pretty much ate half the plate. Haha.
At that was only the first full course which means by the end of the meal I don't think I had been that full for the entire trip. Between the bread, wine, salad, seafood pasta, and creme brûlée...it was SO good, so worth it. Yay French food! Yay Tatum! Ahhh...that was GREAT times.
What exotic food would be on your list?? What should I try next?!
France seemed to be a good opportunity to branch out. I mean, one of the BEST parts about this country is the FOOD. Wine! Cheese! Steak! Baguettes! Croissants! Pastries! Creme brûlée! Crepes! Macaroons! Did I mention wine?! Really the food will get a French Fri(day) post all to itself. But this was different. This had to be unique and special.
I thought maybe I'd give escargot a whirl while in the south of France (still have never had it) but the truth is, even that didn't feel quite as unique to France as I wanted it to be. So when Marie Claire mentioned this "very French" food called Foie gras, which I personally had no knowledge of, I wondered if that might be the winner.
After an incredible day of exploring the beautiful little village of Eze, gambling in Monaco, and popping over to Italy for a minute, we topped off the day with a celebratory swanky dinner in Nice for our newly engaged Tatum (who just tied the knot!). This was a number of courses which was the perfect occasion and excuse to try something exotic because we knew it would be quality.
Foie gras (pronounced Fffwaa Graa--that is my personal description so you're welcome) is essentially goose pate or goose liver. It is made in a rather terrible way so research at your own little heart's risk. Marie graciously described the process to me in between mouthfuls of this delectable little appetizer. She tried to warn me...but...ew.
I don't generally like anything that has to do with organs. They usually kinda gross me out. Why would anyone want to consume such a thing? But I was determined to be refined and go for it. I don't know how it is normally served but this time it came with toasted long bread and carmelized onions.
Impressions:
Hmm interesting. Creamy. Dense. The sweet of the onions and the crunch of the bread complimented it very well. Not nearly as bad as I might have feared. Hey, maybe I'll have more. The French know what they are doing. Sheesh.
And I pretty much ate half the plate. Haha.
At that was only the first full course which means by the end of the meal I don't think I had been that full for the entire trip. Between the bread, wine, salad, seafood pasta, and creme brûlée...it was SO good, so worth it. Yay French food! Yay Tatum! Ahhh...that was GREAT times.




1 comment:
You need to try foie gras with Sauterne (very nice white Loire Valley wine)
Post a Comment