Living in Georgia has taught me a few things about southern culture. Usually people might think of southern mamas with their sweet hospitality and down-home hearty cookin'. Throw in a few "y'alls" and "bless your hearts" and there is no doubt I live in the south.
But since moving back after college, one thing I have grown to learn about is the religion that is college football in the south. I have never cared much about football having gone to both a high school and college that didn't even have football teams. Our family has never been big into the sport either, so it has been after all this that I have learned to appreciate (and understand it thanks mostly to Maria) football in general.
Between friends that went to UGA and living in Georgia, the Bulldogs have become the team I follow and root for....and by follow I mean I am doing well if I can name their quarterback. Even better if I can actually follow a game, understand what is happening, and possibly even feel a little bit invested in how they do.
So. It was time I actually made it to a game. In Athens, GA. <There *may* have been one other time that we tried to go and failed to make it into the stadium. It was a sad day. I cannot speak of it.>
Between friends that went to UGA and living in Georgia, the Bulldogs have become the team I follow and root for....and by follow I mean I am doing well if I can name their quarterback. Even better if I can actually follow a game, understand what is happening, and possibly even feel a little bit invested in how they do.
Having friends with connections is quite helpful. Namely there was a group of us that decided to try for the biggest rival game of the season: Georgia vs. Georgia Tech...and we got in for free! (Thanks Luke!!)
The cost?
Sell programs that would raise money for Fellowship of Christian Athletes for a couple hours before the game and empty seats would be ours.
![]() |
| Emily-Catherine and I partnered up to catch the stragglers |
And we did it like pros :)
"Get your programs! Programs right here!"
| These boys cleaned up |
![]() |
| Marie, Mia, Em-Cat, James, Will, Ernie & Alex (not pictured, why didn't we get you in the pic?!) |
It was...really fun. Perfect day. Pretty weather. Terrible stadium food. Lots of loud cheering. GREAT game. Seriously. Right up till the last few minutes we were on the edge of our seats in overtime.
| Can you see Marie, Alex and Ernie? :) |
Only thing that would have topped off the day is if we had actually WON. Buuuut another thing I have learned as a Georgia fan is that we tend to have a little issue with "follow thru" at times...but truly it was SUCH a fun game (a nail-biter), such a fun day and I am so glad I got to call this my first game, hopefully with many more to come! GO DAWGS. Here's to next season!



No comments:
Post a Comment