Friday, November 28, 2014

30 Things #3: Run a Half Marathon

Happy Thanksgiving!

It seems only appropriate to post this week and give thanks for finishing the Silver Comet Half Marathon! It's been over a month since Bethany and I crossed that finish line and it still feels kinda crazy to me that we actually ran 13.1 miles. I think our faces said it all.

Bethany: What just happened? Me: I don't know but it's over!

But truly it is the goodness of God and the support of this sweet friend that made this possible! Here are a few things that I learned along the way...

1. Get a running buddy. Seriously. And if you do, get one like Bethany. When this girl commits, she is all in and having her consistently there to compare notes and workouts, cross-train together, and overall keep each other going was. SO. vital. Plus she is such an encourager, pushes herself which in turn pushes me, and has just been a downright supportive friend in general that I am so glad we got to start and finish all of this together. We have been hiking Kennesaw Mountain together for a good while now and I have grown to so enjoy those times of connecting with her. When I mentioned I was going to do this, she apprehensively showed interest which meant facing this fear and lie that she is not that "typical athletic girl" that does things like run half-marathons. (Ummmm from the same girl that LOVES natural childbirth?? And did all this training taking care of a home and family with hubby + 2 kiddos?? Yeah I agree. Girl needs to give herself more credit haha) But because we did the whole process together, I think each of us faced and conquered fears and goals that we couldn't have without the support. Plus it's way more FUN that way! People need people.


2. Training is important. Bethany and I followed Hal Higdon's 12 week plan and at times we were tempted to doubt him (wait what Hal?? We don't actually run more than 10 miles before the race? Are you sure buddy?), but over all, he did not fail us. I found myself running on the same hilly course on sunny and rainy days, sweating it out on the beach for a random run, and even making time on our PA road trip. We had to be committed as much as possible while also being flexible. I few times I was supposed to train that I felt my body just needed a rest day. You have to listen to your body and know when to push thru and when to chill out.

Gearing up to go just as the sun came up!
3. Train the way you want to run. As in, don't buy new shoes 2 weeks before a race = possible blisters. If you want music, train with music. If not, train as if you can't have music. It will make the actual race much easier. However, if your race is flat (like ours was) train on some hills too. It will make the course seem easier overall. Run outside. It's better for muscles and it's prettier.
Oh yeah: drink water and eat before runs. Ok, not like, right before, you gotta time it out people! But seriously, don't try to go depleted. You will feel like crap.

Just before we started bright and early!
4. People respond to vulnerability and honesty. Ok, ok, this is not a running lesson. It is more of a confirmation of a lesson many of us already know. But seriously, when I was struggling before this race and I posted about it...I can't tell you how many people showed so much love, support, encouragement, and just connected with where I was. THANK YOU to each of you that did this. As fun as this list and year of 30 is--that post had way more hits than ANY of my fun posts!

It is because people connect to real things. To pain. To struggle. We want to feel that we are not alone. That we are not the only one. It is just really beautiful when we can step out and be honest and then both give and receive blessing in connection as a result.

5. God does not always remove, but he will sustain. I will tell you that my knee started hurting around mile 3. Knowing I had 10 more to go, of course I was concerned. It wasn't terrible so I kept going, noticing that it got increasingly worse. Around mile 6 I had to kind of ask myself if I would keep going. It was so helpful to have Bethany too, checking in and encouraging me. But at some point I just kind of decided "Ok, the pain is bearable. I think I can do this. Just pace yourself, don't push too hard and take it one mile at a time. The goal is to finish and run the whole time."

I did not finish in the time I had "hoped for" (it didn't help that we thought we were going faster than we were). Still, there was a very clear awareness that yes, I did it, and no, God did not "heal" my knee...but he sustained me so that I was able to push to the end without major damage and the glory of that was not mine but his. There were many who prayed and lifted me up, but one verse that the Lord spoke to me through 2 separate people came from Psalm 84 and I love it from The Message...

About to cross that finish line!

And how blessed all those in whom you live,
    whose lives become roads you travel;
They wind through lonesome valleys, 
come upon brooks, 
discover cool springs and pools brimming with rain!
God-traveled, these roads curve up the mountain, and at the last turn—Zion! God in full view!


I mean. How beautiful is that! I love the image of the lonesome and difficulty and the refreshing God brings while also suddenly appearing when we are wondering just when things will be done.
Lastly, so fun to have people at the end to cheer you to the finish line! Was so fun to have James and Mia come out and even the thought that there were others who considered coming, even if they couldn't make it, meant so much. Seriously, what a crazy, hard, fun, challenging experience. I would do it again. (At least I am saying that today) I've been resting my knee this month to give it a solid amount of time to heal so that hopefully I continue to train and challenge myself with things like this. So good to have a goal to work for.


Yay, Bethany and I did it!

Thanks to Tim, Bethany's husband for also being there and getting the great photos of Bethany and I  and with James and Mia at the end!

No comments: