Thursday, June 5, 2014

30 Things #7: Visit Ben Out West (PART 2!)

There WAS more, but not before we mourned leaving such a beautiful place...and made a few stops along the way in heading back to civilization...


I'd say the lodge picked a pretty great location...
Olympic is actually a pretty large national park with mountains and forests along with the coast. Originally we had hoped to visit Mt. Rainier, but the cold and snow kept us away. So instead along the way we stopped to see an enormous spruce tree in a forest that looked like it was straight out of Lord of the Rings...picnicked along a brisk mountain lake...and made sure to see the "world's Oldest Cypress" that boasts 400+ yrs!




My attempt at tree hugging :) It was a really big tree.
 That night we stayed in Tacoma, a smaller city near Seattle, right on the bay. I feel like I just keep repeating myself in saying it was gorgeous...but I can't help it.

Not to shabby :)
 AND I got the extra special treat of seeing a good friend from my 5 months spent in Nepal...now 6 YEARS AGO! My how that time has flown by! Alissa was probably my closest friend while I lived In Nepal and it was so great to be able to pick right back up, catch up on life, work, boys, church, and everything in between. This girl has a heart for women and her desire to build them up in the Lord was a great encouragement to me.

THANK YOU, Alissa for making the long trip to spend an evening with me! We had an awesome dinner right on the water and got to enjoy the clear skies which meant mountains in the background.
can you see Mt. Rainier peaking out?

And finally....

SEATTLE!!!
Taking the ferry across the bay at the beginning of our trip gave us some awesome views of the city. We got to spend a full 24+ hrs exploring and absorbing as much of the city as we could. We visited unique and historic landmarks, staple food spots, and artsy festivals, a cool museum...
Famous "Troll Under the Bridge" found in a quirky artsy section of town

The Space Needle was expensive to go to the top...so this is about as famous as it gets
 ...and of course, there is the famous Pike Place Market. It was a little rainy when we visited in the evening, so Ben and I ventured out Monday morning early enough to see the place just waking up for the day. Mom and Dad joined us a little later and it was just a PERFECT day. One of those days when the weather is cool and warm at the same time and you just feel...ahhhhhhhhhh...like you want to take a big ol' bite out of life!



I think I've decided that next to Gerber Daisies, Peonies are my fave. Just gorgeous :)
If I wasn't getting on a plane the same day I would have bought all of them! One of my favorite parts of Pike Place
So much color. If only we shopped like this all the time.
Not pictured: all. of. the. fish. If I felt like it I would have bought some fresh salmon to ship home...

Our last few hours were spent on a "progressive breakfast," sampling the many baked delicacies all along the way. Russian, French, American bakeries were seen just about every other store and I am drooling all over again just thinking about it!
Of course we got Starbucks at the ORIGINAL Starbucks store
Russian pastries, mostly savory. YUM

This French bakery, Le Panier, had the BEST chocolate croissant I have ever put in my mouth. Why I did not take a picture I don't know. I think it was because I was too busy savoring every bite. AH and there were so many more where that came from! I think I'd like to go back just to tour Seattle's best eats.

What a perfect way to end such a wonderful trip. All in all, we got to do a little of everything...nature, city, reflection, exploring, quiet family time, discovering new and old nooks and hideaways, catching up with a friend, enjoying amazing food...it was a pretty darn good trip. AND of COURSE it was fun to spend time with this guy! Even though Ben lives across the country, he lives in an amazing part and I am glad to have an excuse to visit the place AND him. He is a caring, funny, and kind brother and I am glad we got some time together. I'm almost a little sad this is already "checked off" but guess maybe this means a visit should be an annual bucket list item :)

Thanks Ben for a great time! It was good to see you!


No comments: