Wednesday, June 25, 2014

30 Things #16: Clean out my stuff = Simplify

Confession time: I might have a problem. As in, I have some "hoarding tendencies." Which really just means I have a really hard time throwing things away...

Just ask my roommates...of any of us, if there is something sitting around the house, whether it is a coupon, some leftovers in the fridge, a plastic bag...I will keep it around "just in case" or figure out some way to use it. Now don't get me wrong, this is can be quite handy. There are things that I keep around that often come into good use and I am glad I kept it. But when I am at the point that only 1 out of 10 of the things I keep actually get used, my "resourcefulness" had grown 9 heads and cluttered up my room to the max.
SO...

It has taken a couple weeks, but I have torn through my closet, bins that have been sitting in my room for 2 years, closets, desks...
where all of my random crap used to hide
Mia did lots of work along with me and between the two of us, we brought at least 7 bags to Goodwill with at least 2-3 more to still bring, not to mention a LOT of trash. And while the below results might not appear like much to you, for me it has been  a really good thing! 

Before and after closet. I forgot to take a pic of all the clothes in there before. 
Before: it doesn't look too bad, but it is organized chaos
Just wait for that corner to change...
After: Ta da!
Before: The catch all corner + poor chair needing a better spot
After: I finally found a home for this sweet 30th bday gift from Stacey!
Guys. Seriously. This was so GOOD for me to purge!! Mia kept saying that she didn't know who I was it was so unlike me to get rid of things. But I was determined. I think it helped that it was on my 30 things list so that I did it WELL and did it RIGHT. It has felt good.
Before: This corner has been "unfinished" with bins since we moved in 2 yrs ago
After! This is probably my favorite new part, no more bins!
I'd say that as much as I am glad I am resourceful and am able to really use the things I keep around, it has just been nice to simplify. I think it has helped me realize that while having lots of useful or fun things can be nice, we can also be a slave to stuff. I don't want to be a slave and I want to have an open hand with what God has given me. Sometimes that means just letting go. There are still a few more areas of our house to do together, but as far as my stuff goes, consider this item complete :)

Everyone should do this! It helps to have friends to do it with you too. Thanks Mia for your help! 


1 comment:

Maria said...

It is true, I don't know where my "Well, this broken hanger could be used for...I don't know what, but I'm going to save it!" roommate has gone! :)