So apparently when I included this bucket list item, I did not realize that April was going to be so full of them. Instead of going to see one artist in concert I'd never seen, I saw THREE! What can I say...I am a closet overachiever. I like to pretend I don't care, but when it comes down to it, I often want to overdo things just right :) Which is probably why I end up letting blogging go to the wayside. If I don't do it as well as I'd like to do it in my head, then I just end up not doing it at all. Not this time!
The fun part about all these shows is that they seemed to build on one another--as in one was a smaller, lesser known band, the next someone who is popular in the secular world but not huge, and then went out with a bang with a big ol' reunion tour of a band that I'd say is pretty big.
Get ready for lots of stages and lights...and hopefully a few badly taken iPhone videos so you can pretend you were there with me :)
SO. April 5th my roommates Maria and Tatum, plus Tatum's sister Sally, headed up to Athens, GA to see Drew Holcomb and the Neighbors at the Georgia Theater. Now full disclosure requires me to say that in truth, I went to this concert for the opening band, Judah and the Lion. YA'LL. I LOVE those boys and the music they make. So fun, so entertaining, such good musicians (for being wee babes) and worth it to see them live for the second time.
However, I'd never seen Drew Holcomb live and have admired some of their music from afar, so naturally was not mad about enjoying it live for the first time. And technically, it counted as far as this item goes. BUT. I didn't stop there.![]() |
| Sal Pal, Mia, me looking mid-sentence, and Taters |
The very next weekend Mia and I headed back up to Athens for Amos Lee on April 13th. I had given Mia tickets for her birthday and it was finally here! We grabbed dinner at Cali & Tito's (the best burrito you will ever eat) and headed to the concert. Hilarious unexpected: I think we brought the average age of the audience down by at least 10 years. We decided that it was only because "old people" have good taste in music too :)
![]() |
| sneaking a pic |
I have to say that I liked Amos Lee before seeing him live...but after this show, I LOVE him. If you EVER have a chance to see him, DO. IT. So worth it. Great entertainer, amazingly talented and soulful...it was such a good show. Great date for ladies if you ever need an idea boys. His band was incredibly talented too. They did some great covers of other songs and both of us could have stayed there all night!
This video looks way further away than we actually were...but this is one of his most well-known songs (keep it loose, keep it tight) so gives you a taste of his style!
Aaaannnnnnd for the finale.......Friday I headed with these kids to Nickel Creek's Reunion Tour!!!
![]() |
| Me, James, Em-Cat, Amelia, Allison & Cam |
I was not disappointed! The crowd was electric with energy and they played all of our favorites. I mean...I wish all of you could have joined me! One of the best concerts I've ever been to, if not the top. Below some of their song, The Lighthouse's Tale...I sort of hide the camera after a little bit because I felt like it was getting in the way of people behind me. But you get the idea!
What was also fun was that this concert was a bucket list item for my brother James too! He gave me a ticket for my birthday with the promise to help me check this #24 off together! I know he'd been so disappointed not to see Nickel Creek back in college--he passed it up to study for a test (what a good student) so he redeemed the time, drove all the way from school and back DURING FINALS in one night just to see them together! It was real special. Thanks Jamesy!! 




2 comments:
you are starting STRONG, friend! What a great 30 so far!! (and great blogging :) I love it!
April was such a fun month! And I agree with Stace -- you've been putting out some quality blogging. Love it! Love you!
Post a Comment