Last weekend we had a significant celebration in the Torell family. We celebrated 20 years of the Lord's faithfulness in keeping my dad alive after major open heart surgery when my dad had one of his heart valves was replaced. I was just in 2nd grade, but I remember my dad being in the hospital for long time (6 weeks!) and celebrating Father's Day wearing special gowns because of something wrong with him. My dad had a heart valve that had become infected and it was a battle even to figure out what was wrong with him. When he was the hospital, my Aunt Jeanie came to help take care of us kids while my mom could work and we had many visits to see my dad, which being a kid, also usually meant a trip to the hospital gift store to get candy. Oh the things we remember :) Still, right before my dad finally had his surgery, I remember one visit to the hospital when I saw both my parents cry. It was then I began to understand that my dad could die if something didn't happen soon. BUT God was so gracious to our family and used that surgery and the doctors' hands to redeem and restore my dad to full health. It was a long road to recovery, but it was a joy to celebrate all that we have been able to experience as a family since that time.
We enjoyed an afternoon cookout with friends from church...
Then....tubing and boat time on the lake!! Judson was thrilled :)
Minus a few storm clouds, it was a great afternoon. I cannot even begin to count all the memories, conversations, experiences and wisdom that my dad has been able to share and pour into me over these last 20 years. Truly I cannot imagine life without him. I am so grateful to my Heavenly Father for giving me these days with an earthly father who so passionately loves Jesus and shows love to me in so many ways. I love you Dad! Yay for many more years to come!

1 comment:
Elisa, you're the other part of the 20 years of good memories. I am so grateful to God that he let me be with you and the rest of the family to witness his grace in action in all of your lives. Such a variety of giftings and callings, so awesome to watch all of you develop into the people you've been destined to be. Looking forward to 20 more years of good memories and wonderful experiences in the Lord.
Post a Comment